FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022
The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup is the world’s largest international women’s basketball competition and one of the most prestigious titles in the sport. This major event will feature the world’s best players representing 12 basketball powerhouse nations from across FIBA’s regions – Asia & Oceania, Americas, Africa, and Europe.
The Federation International Basketball (FIBA) is the association of National Federations which governs the sport of basketball worldwide. Following a competitive bid, Basketball Australia and the NSW Government were awarded the rights to host the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 at Sydney Olympic Park from 22 September to 1 October 2022.
FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022 LOCAL ORGANSING COMMITTEE (LOC) Basketball Australia partnered with NSW Government through its major events and tourism agency, Destination NSW and the Office of Sport to win the rights in March 2020 to host the Women’s Basketball World Cup as part of the NSW Government’s 10 World Cups in 10 years initiative. Basketball Australia established a Local Organising Committee, as a wholly owned subsidiary, to deliver this prestigious event. This World Cup will be one of the first major international events to be held in Australia in 2022 (22 September to 1 October 2022) and comes at an unprecedented time for our country, following devastating bushfires and COVID-19 pandemic. This global sporting event will contribute to Australia’s long-term recovery due to the economic and social benefits this event will deliver, along with continuing the powerful message of gender equality and focus on women’s sport.
We want this event to reimagine and reinvigorate Basketball, and specifically Women’s Basketball, in Australia and the Region. We want to create an atmosphere that is cool, edgy and funky with activations, communications and promotions in the lead up and during to the event that achieves our vision of igniting the passion for women’s basketball globally.
OUR VISION: To ignite the passion for Women’s basketball globally
OUR MISSION: To create a bold, engaging, and inclusive World Cup celebrating the power and excitement of women’s basketball
POSITION: ATHLETE SERVICES COORDINATOR
Under the guidance of both the Accreditation and Visa and Athlete & Guest Services Managers – for the Local Organising Committee (LOC), your primary role will be to help develop and deliver a streamlined and successful FWBWC22 Accreditation Program as well as inspiring Athlete & Guest Services program that aligns to the vision and mission of the FWBWC22.
You will work alongside a diverse range of stakeholders in the development and delivery of both functional areas. Ideally, you will understand and have experience in the operations and services across major events and the sport business environment. This will include dealing with groups of athletes, support staff and event operations and management staff.
The Accreditation and Visa Program will be instrumental in ensuring the success of the delivery of the FWBWC22. You will be involved in data collection, administration and implementation of the
accreditation system as well as facilitating the Visa Program for all international arrivals. Maintaining the accreditation and visa database will also tie into supporting the Athletes Services division for Arrivals and Departures planning, Accommodation, Transport and any other key Athlete Services programs, to help us deliver a successful event.
The FWBWC22 is committed to reinvigorating women’s basketball in Australia, to create an atmosphere that is edgy and delivers an event with world class Athlete Services across all areas, for which the Athlete Services Coordinator will play a key role in helping to achieve these objectives.
The Athlete Services Coordinator will be expected to:
- Assist the Athlete & Guest Services Manager in the development and delivery of the Athlete Services Program for FWBWC22 in line with the Athlete Services policy, agreement, strategy, and implementation plan.
- Work alongside the FWBWC22 Functional Areas to ensure the requirements are met and that the vision and strategy of the Athlete Services Program is aligned with the wider organisational vision, values, and priorities.
- Help the Athlete & Guest Services Manager to deliver the “Home Away from Home” concept to all team delegations and attending stakeholders.
- Assist in training and coordinating the Athlete & Guest Services event volunteers to deliver world class services to athletes and guests.
- Support the implementation of the Accreditation and Visa program designed to deliver a streamlined travel and event access experience for all teams.
- Support the full alignment and consistency in approach of the Accreditation Program processes and activities with all Functional Areas.
- Engage with the basketball community and other specialist organisations, in the sourcing of specialised services for relevant areas. Examples being basketball operations, medical support, interpreters, drivers, athlete services, team requirements, VIPs, and game day activations.
- Support the activities of the Accreditation Centre during both test and FIBA WCC events. • Assist with the Implementation of a pre–Games Accreditation program to meet all event needs
- Ensure you and the volunteer team comply with the FWBWC22 health and safety policies and all other policies and procedures as provided by the FWBWC22 LOC.
- Actively promote and support the work health and safety initiatives in each of the competition venues and training venue.
In addition to demonstrating relevant experiences across the core functional areas of responsibility identified in this Position Overview, candidates applying for the Athlete Services & Accreditation Coordinator role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in sport management, sports administration, or event management
- Previous experience working with VIP stakeholders in a Major Sports Event environment in managing and delivering operational components across a range of functional areas
- Coordination of event/team services in an event operations environment • A highly motivated and proactive individual who can problem solve and share their ideas
- Experience with supplier coordination and service delivery to large groups
- High level of all round communication and presentation skills
- Confident with using Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams
- Competent in using databases and handling sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise, schedule and multi-task with strong attention to detail
- A demonstrated and strong commitment to exceptional communication and customer service
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment • Thrive in environments of complexity and change
- Empathy and understanding of others
- Knowledge of the sport of basketball or team sports
- Experience in travel coordination
- Experience in training and coordinating volunteers
Flexible working arrangements will be discussed with the FWBWC22 LOC office now located in Sydney Olympic Park.
HOURS OF WORK
Due to the nature of the position, weekend work and extended hours may be required from time to time.
The remuneration package is negotiable depending upon skill level and experiences.
Applications close 5pm AEST Monday 16th May 2022. Interviews and appointment will occur upon the identification of suitable candidates. It is expected that the Athlete Services & Accreditation Coordinator will commence by the end of May 2022.
The successful candidate will be employed under a full-time contract to 06 October 2022. This is subject to funding and may be extended. In addition, a three-month probationary period will be included in the contract.
Applications should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm AEST Monday 16th May 2022.
Preferred Format: 1-page letter of introduction responding to selection criteria and key responsibilities, accompanied by a CV of no more than 3 pages.