POSITION DESCRIPTION: MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022
The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup is the world’s largest international women’s basketball competition and one of the most prestigious titles in the sport. This major event will feature the world’s best players representing 12 basketball powerhouse nations from across FIBA’s regions – Asia & Oceania, Americas, Africa and Europe.
The Federation International Basketball (FIBA) is the association of National Federations which governs the sport of basketball worldwide. Following a competitive bid, Basketball Australia and the NSW Government were awarded the rights to host the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 at Sydney Olympic Park from 22 September to 1 October 2022.
FIBA WOMENS BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2022 LOCAL ORGANSING COMMITTEE
Basketball Australia partnered with NSW Government through its major events and tourism agency, Destination NSW and the Office of Sport to win the rights in March 2020 to host the Women’s Basketball World Cup as part of the NSW Government’s 10 World Cups in 10 years initiative. Basketball Australia established a Local Organising Committee, as a wholly-owned subsidiary, to deliver this prestigious event. This World Cup will be one of the first major international events to be held in Australia in 2022 (22 September to 1 October 2022) and comes at an unprecedented time for our country, following devastating bushfires and COVID-19 pandemic. This global sporting event will contribute to Australia’s long-term recovery due to the economic and social benefits this event will deliver, along with continuing the powerful message of gender equality and focus on women’s sport.
We want this event to reimagine and reinvigorate Basketball, and specifically Women’s Basketball, in Australia and the Region. We want to create an atmosphere that is cool, edgy and funky with activations, communications and promotions in the lead up and during to the event that achieves our vision of igniting the passion for women’s basketball globally.
OUR VISION: To ignite the passion for Women’s basketball globally
OUR MISSION: To create a bold, engaging and inclusive World Cup celebrating the power and excitement of women’s basketball
BE PART OF THE TEAM: MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Reporting to the General Manager – Marketing, Communications and Media of the Local Organising Committee (LOC), the primary role of the Media and Communications Manager will lead and execute the media and communications activities for the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 Local Organising Committee in line with the overall Marketing, Communications and Media Strategy and LOC Strategic Plan.
The role requires an individual to a strong understanding of the Australian media landscape, multi-channel activation and community engagement, along with a proven ability to work alongside a diverse range of stakeholders. Ideally, you will understand and have experience across major event delivery and the sport business environment.
We are looking for someone who can help us redefine and create inspirational opportunities that engage traditional and non traditional audiences, fans, partners, government and trail blazers to turbo charge this event and basketball (longer term legacy). Ultimately, we want to create a bold, engaging and inclusive World Cup that celebrates the power and excitement of women’s basketball, Sydney, Australia and the essence of this amazing country.
The Media and Communications Manager will be expected to:
- Develop, manage and deliver media and communications activities as part of the overall marketing, communications, promotional and media strategy and in line with the Local Organising Committee Strategic Plan; • Lead the development and execution of an extensive Media and PR plan, that proactively maximises promotional milestones, event and team announcements and engages key target markets, including cultural and community groups; • Create newsworthy launch, media and photo opportunities;
- Build a core media group to hero the FWBWC22;
- Contribute to the creation of media assets, including media kits and fact sheets;
- Leverage and service any event media partners;
- Produce content for the event’s digital channels, including website and social media, as well as those of stakeholders;
- Plan and produce content for the FWBWC22 Family e-newsletter;
- Liaise with national federations to extract and promote the best stories in women’s basketball to elevate the game to a new level;
- Work alongside each LOC department to ensure all event communications include the event’s key messages and carry a consistent brand voice;
- Contribute to ensuring a seamless customer journey, covering all touch points from initial connection to event departure; • Work with National and State Basketball Associations, stakeholders and the broader community to amplify the event and create a longer-term legacy for Basketball in Australia;
- Contribute to a world-class media operations and service in the lead-up and at event-time;
- Support the General Manager – Marketing, Communications and Media to effectively manage and minimise potential issues via the event’s crisis management plan;
- Promote the FWBWC as a must-experience event in 2022.
In addition to demonstrating relevant experiences across the core functional areas of responsibility identified in this Position Overview, candidates applying for the Media and Communications Manager role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in marketing, communications, or business
- At least four to five years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience in running successful, proactive media and PR campaigns, including campaigns linked to events and with ticket sales objectives
- Knowledge of the Australian-media environment, including but extending beyond sport
- Experience in managing and delivering multi-channel digital content strategies with successful outcomes for event specific activities
- A creative nature with high-level written communication and presentation skills
- A highly motivated and proactive person who uses initiative to solve problems and design innovative solutions • Demonstrated experience in implementing strategy whilst negotiating and managing diverse stakeholder groups, internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise and manage multiple tasks with strong attention to detail maintaining high standards of customer service and work within the organisation.
- Strong collaborative/inclusive approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge of the sport of basketball
Flexible working arrangements will be discussed however the FWBWC22 LOC office will relocate to Sydney Olympic Park in late 2021.
HOURS OF WORK
Due to the nature of the position, weekend work and extended hours may be required from time to time.
The remuneration package is negotiable depending upon skill level and experiences.
Applications close 9am AEST Monday, 26 July 2021. Interviews and appointment will occur in July/August 2021 and it is expected that the Media and Communications Manager will commence in August/September 2021.
The successful candidate will be employed under a full-time contract of service to 14 October 2022. This is subject to funding and may be extended. In addition, a three-month probationary period will be included in the contract.
Applications should be forwarded to [email protected] before 9am AEST Monday, 26 July 2021. Preferred Format: 1-page letter of introduction responding to selection criteria and key responsibilities, accompanied by a CV of no more than 3 pages.