Basketball NSW is excited to share that the inaugural online basketball festival has officially been ruled a success, as a first of its kind in Basketball within Australia.
The online basketball festival was held during the September school holidays when the majority of the state was in lockdown restrictions and itching to continue to be involved in basketball in any shape or form and was provided free to all participants.
The online festival featured over 21 individual, interactive, fun sessions that catered for every age group, skill ability and offered sessions for not just athletes but also parents, coaches, officials and basketball enthusiasts.
A few highlights from the four days included hearing from Lauren Jackson AO express her excitement regarding ‘one year to go’ for the FIBA Women’s World Cup 2022, an indepth conversation from the Boomers Gold Medal Coach Brian Goorjian and various skill sessions from the Illawarra Hawks, Brydens Sydney Uni Flames and Sydney Kings.
We would like to say a huge thank you to all our sponsors, hosts and registered participants that joined in to deliver a fantastic event and boost the morale of our members during the school holidays.
Please check out the list of supporters below and their links to their own websites for more information.
- Athlete Recovery & injury prevention with Adam Messenger from Momentum Physio
- Aussie Hoops with Lauren Nicholson & Jarrod Moore
- BA Pathways for USA college with Darren Smith & special guest Kristy Wallace
- BNSW Fitness Session with Curtis Sardi
- BNSW Skills Session with Will Lopez
- Brydens Sydney Uni Flames Skills Session with Shane & Shyla Heal
- Coaches Discussion with Brian Goorjian
- Coaches discussion with Shaun Roger
- COE: Post Moves with Peter Lonergan, Chyra Evans & Isla Juffermans
- FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 with Lauren Jackson, Lorraine Landon, Maria Nordstrom
- Goal setting & self regulation with Dr Juanita Weissensteiner at the Office of Sport
- I am a Girl, Come & try with Karen Irwin
- Illawarra Hawks Skills Session with Tim Coenraad
- Indigenous Basketball Australia with Tyson Demos & Angus Glover
- NBA Global Academy – Strength & Conditioning Session with Shane Connolly, Matt Blue and the NBA Global Academy athletes Josh Dent & Tyrese Proctor
- Nutrition & eating to perform with Renee Kennedy from Motivate Nutrition
- Officiating: Referee Pathways & Opportunities with Steve Clarke, Haylee Cole and Jacqui Dover
- Paralympics with Sarah Graham, Tom O’Neill-Thorne, Ella Sabljak and Georgia Munro-Cook. Hosted by Janna Mizens.
- Staying Positive in Challenging times with Renae Garlepp & Nicola O’Leary at Sports Chaplaincy Australia
- Sydney Kings Skills Session with Matt Flinn and Shaun Bruce
- Tokyo Wrap Up with NSW Olympians Nick Kay & Katie Rae Ebzery – hosted by former NBL player Damian Martin
The Basketball NSW Online Festival is proudly co-funded by the NSW Government as part of the NSW Legacy Program.
The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 will feature the world’s top 12 women’s national teams, with 38 games to be played across 10 days from September 22 – October 1, 2022 in Sydney, Australia. CLICK HERE to sign up to the newsletter.
If you missed any of the sessions or would like to rewatch them at your own leisure, we have uploaded all 21 sessions to our Youtube page HERE.
We look forward to building on the initial success and continue to deliver similar online sessions post lock-down, keep an eye out on our website and socials as we will announce similar interactive events soon.
If you have any questions or would like to work with us for future online opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.